Friday, November 1, 2013

A Portrait of Resolve

I can't resist sharing articles when I come across them. It's a weakness, I know. As coaches, we are blessed to be some of the very first people to witness and recognize extraordinary resolve. Those intimately involved with the program know how special our kids are long before the papers pick up on it. So I'll admit that it's a little extra sweet when they finally do, and makes me want to share.

The Noblesville Times ran a story about Frank Grimes recently that I think is stellar. There's not a good online link unless you have an account with the Times, but you can see the headline on their main page right now. They were kind enough to pass along a copy of the article to the coaching staff. I won't steal their scoop, but I will post a couple quotations as both a teaser and because we're proud of our family members.

I enjoyed the intro, particularly the focus on "resolve:"
The word resolve was visible, with the date 11-29-13 underneath to signify the Class 5A state championship game.

While Grimes' position in front of Westfield's season mantra was coincidental, no word better signifies his ability to overcome both family tragedy and major injury to return to the field.
And then, of course, a closing quotation from Coach Gilbert:
“The only time, ever, I've seen him lie down on the field was when he tore his ACL. And then he just gets up and jogs off the field. It's a blessing and nobody deserves it more than this kid.”

No comments:

Post a Comment